“Portico” – the school of theology, philosophy and arts (established in Klaipėda in 2008, from 2012 is active in Vilnius).
It is a space for study of theology, philosophy and art, a space to research ideas and insights and seek for relevant “truth,” a laboratory of the wounds of the world, a space where thoughts and actions interweave and interpenetrate, a granary of tools and creative ideas, a place for meeting, dialogue and learning.
Aim – (self)liberation from what destroys or impoverishes life and the flourishing of human being and society.
Task – nurture the sense of human self-esteem (dignity? self-worth?) that one could find free and meaningful action in the world.
Who? The activities of “Portico” are for young people and adults, who
• have time and space to reflect on different issues;
• have determination to train in the workshops of theology, philosophy and arts;
• think about their mission and/or calling;
• look for companions;
How? How does the conversation between different disciplines work? How can I participate in the transformation of reality?
See, Judge, Act! The matrix of our studies and activities is inspired by three steps of theology of liberation.
• “See” part looks at the personal experiences of the issue, what concerns, worries or hurts us or others. Social sciences are drawn upon to look at the issue deeper.
• “Judge” part reflects on how the issue was treated by philosophers and theologians. This includes both an analysis of reasons of how the issue came about and a search of the perspectives, which might throw a different light on the issue, which gives hope and inspires a transforming action.
• “Act” part seeks for concrete transformation – we reflect on how our behaviour, communal practices, way of thinking has to change in the light of previous steps. Art study and workshops in “Portico” – is an organised way to develop fresh ways of thinking and living. In them research, analysis, experiences and new possible expressions are interwoven.